Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Hills So High



"Hills So High," the new album from Los Angeles based band A House For Lions, is out today and I am incredibly in love with it. Reminds me of the 90's in the best way possible.

From the beginning to the end, this album soothes your soul. It tells you stories of love, leaving, hopes, dreams and everything in between. 

I first found out about A House For Lions through the website You, Me and Charlie over a year ago. The moment I listened to You Don't Wanna Wait For Me, I fell in love. It was love at first listen. And now, they're here with their debut album and it is everything and MORE.

It was really difficult for me to pick a top three, but I think I have come to a conclusion. I'm going to talk about my top three songs from the album because I don't want to spoil the entire album for you.

I had a hard time choosing the first song, but I think I'll go with Let Back. "We'll write a book worth reading. We'll past the test, no cheating." This song... as soon as I heard the first lyric, I replayed it and then replayed the song a couple of times. Let Back is melodic and laid back. The lead vocals, along with the lyrics, are soothing, calming and so very beautiful. I have no other way of putting it: this song simply makes me think.

Ordinary Life, the first single, is amazing. "Don't put your love out on the table. I know we're all to blame, but people ain't the same in Hollywood." It often reminds me of times I've been in relationships with people who just don't understand what my dream means, what my plans mean. Fighting to keep it together, but knowing, somewhere, that it's a lost cause. "I love you, but we're different." And then, being afraid. Being scared of the unknown and second-guessing. Another side to it, losing and leaving friendships behind because of your dreams. Memories, good times. Jumbled thoughts, I know, but I get such a feel from this song.

And my most favorite song from Hills So High: Come On, Let's Go

This song...I can't even explain to you how many times it's been on repeat or how many times I've just closed my eyes and listened. The lyrics, the music, everything about this song is so beautiful, so personal to me. 
"All the mistakes that I made in the name of escaping the fate of my family, shame on me for thinking that way. I am just like them and I'm okay. Would you love me anyway?" Come On Let's Go tells a story from beginning to end. A story that, I believe, we can all relate to. A story that we have all experienced. In all honesty, no song since Correatown's Everything All At Once has made me feel so intensely. It's one of those songs that makes me want to lay in a field, forget everything and play it on repeat. It's that damn good.

All in all, this album is A+. From beginning to end, it is a classic album. Something that will definitely be played on repeat for days to come. Bravo, A House For Lions.

To Daniel, Mike, Eric and Joesph: You guys are truly amazing. You create inspiring music and you tell wonderful stories. I'm so very lucky to have met you guys, to have seen you live twice and to be able to say that I know a group of guys who make amazing music. You're cementing your place in the books. :)

Want more from A House For Lions? Well, lucky for you, their album is on sale today in the iTunes store. You can also visit their website, AHFL, and follow them on Twitter and Facebook.



No comments:

Post a Comment