Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Correatown: Pleiades




"Correatown was a name someone called her once. Imagine the lights that slowly haze by when you’re driving home late at night bleary eyed, or the night sky heavy with clouds just after a thunderstorm. It’s Angela Correa’s band daydream fully realized in a dark club filled with the reverberating layers of washy guitars, beautiful harmonies, growling fuzzed out analog synths and a melodious voice. Based in the Eastside of Los Angeles, the band is a mainstay in the tightly knit local music community.
In previous incarnations, Correatown was a more spare amalgam of early folk and lo-fi buzzing indie rock; however, over the past few years the sound has evolved into a lush and textured experience of melodic soundscapes." - (via Correatown)

And now that you have the web version of who Correatown is, I'm going to give you MY version :)

What can I really say about Correatown that you haven't already heard me say? You want to know who Correatown is? I'll tell you in my own words.

Correatown is a true form of music that I don't believe is noticed nearly as often as it should be. Art infused with melody and set alight by amazing lyrics. Everything about Correatown embodies everything that we are, everything that we've been and what we can or will become. Correatown, to me, equals emotion. From the melodic flow of instruments to the captivating voice of Angela Correa herself, you can't help but to be drawn in and swept off your feet.

From beginning to end, this album in itself, will capture you and awaken a part of you that you probably never knew existed. Pleiades is definitely an album for the ages.

Have you ever listened to a song that completely hinders you from doing anything else? It forces you to close your eyes, breathe deep, and imagine? "Everything All At Once" is that song for me. The first time I heard it was on Grey's Anatomy (Season 6, Episode 8: Invest In Love) and I did just that. It is so calming; the lyrics will cradle you. It will definitely sooth the soul. "Well maybe what you want is right here."


Let's make our way to the song "Play," shall we? This song makes me feel as though I should be surfing or riding down the PCH in a VW van with a group of friends. It's that kind of feel-good song. "We never say what we should and I never do what I ought to, but I want a love that burns me through." The lyrics are so catchy and it's hard not to smile while listening to it. It's also really hard not to dance.



"Isomer" is, hands down, one of my favorite tracks on the album. The 'ah's' in the background drew me in immediately and then, her voice drifts in, so melodic, and it's like receiving a musical hug. The lyrics, "Put it in my cup and not swallow it down. Swill it on my tongue and not stumble around. Let it lift me up, don't let it bring me down. This fire," sat with me for hours after the first time I heard it. Not to mention, the sound of her voice as she holds the note on 'fire' gives me chills.


"Valparaiso" is the title track to Pleiades and it is all kinds of amazing. This live performance is... everything that I can imagine this song being. It is so simplistic, yet so complex. The lyrics allow your mind to go on a road trip of sorts and you begin to imagine yourself doing just that. Trust me, I've seen an entire movie play out to this song. When she gets to the bridge, my heart literally swoons. "Night; it comes more blinding than it does at home and time passes by without your memory and the pieces you've lost, you can hardly retrieve." You will never hear anything as melodic as her voice on this song.






I could go on forever, without a doubt, about Correatown and Angela's voice, but I won't. I will only direct you to the Correatown page(s), ask you to listen for yourself and come to your own conclusion. This is one artist/band that everyone should keep their eye on because amazing does NOT explain it. Correatown is destined for amazing things. Not to say that they haven't experienced them already, but I'm positively sure there is SO much more to come.

Website: Here
Twitter: Here
Facebook: Here


No comments:

Post a Comment