Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Let's Stay Young Forever




They say that once you hit the age of 18 (or maybe a bit older), you tend to lose the child inside of you. You're thrown into the big boy world and all of a sudden, there are all these expectations of you. Finish college. Find a career. Pay bills. You have to grow up.


But do you?


Do you really have to let go of the child that has lived inside of you for eighteen years? The child that thrived on dreams, believed in magic and was content blowing bubbles under a summer sun?


It's hard as hell, especially for me, when I'm reading a book that sweeps me away into a world of pure magic and my phone rings and it's my boss. Or I'm watching a movie that makes me feel like I'm twelve again and the mail comes, dreams coming to a halt because, once again, the real world has... well, for lack of better words, rained on my parade.


I try, as hard as I can, to hold on to that feeling. That freeing, I still believe that I can fly and anything is possible feeling. I do things that bring that feeling back tenfold; not allowing me to frown even if I wanted to.


Do this:
  • Invite your friends over and have a bubble blowing party in the living room.
  • Get a box full of Lego's, dump them out, and let your imagination take over. Build a castle or an airplane or a zoo full of Lego animals.
  • Jump in a round of double dutch just to see if you've still got the skills.
  • Round up enough team players to get a good game of kickball going.
  • Challenge your best friend to a Hula Hoop duel. Longest time wins.
  • Run around a park. Hop on the swings. Can you still cross the monkey bars without falling?
  • If you're anything like me, you STILL have Polly Pocket. Bring her out. I'm sure she's lonely.
  • Have a Nerf Gun war! (Those are always REALLY fun!)
  • Go to the beach and build the biggest sandcastle you can imagine. Motes and all. 
  • Build a fort, invite some friends over and have a movie night.


Whatever it takes to bring that feeling back; to allow you to experience that happiness. Do it.


Let's stay young forever.





No comments:

Post a Comment